Monday, November 18, 2013

Different ways of teaching!

From an article I read today about the importance of teaching a child from the basic levels. Made me realise that I need to shift the project that I was planning to implement next year; The Brick Campaign.
The article illustrated that we need to tackle the literacy and numeracy in our country. The importance of teaching that at a young age, not to make it sound boring to the child but fun and very engaging. Education has and will always be one of my passionate areas that I would be an activist for. Yes, "we" referring to the government that Education is the Key to Success, but how can you say that and not implement programmes that would improve the pass rate in literacy and numeracy. I do not think it costs millions of rands, but it takes a simple someone to make the first move.
I write this from the perspective of going to a "model C" or priviledged school to finishing my school years at a "no fees" school.
Having had all the resources, received the best teaching from the educators and then having to adapt to a school that teachers just never had any umph to be in the class. I think there are many players in this scenario; the teacher, the parent, the child and the government. Each one has a role to play and has to have some responsibility.

The shift in my project has landed on an opportunity that would change the way we look at education now, especially for those who depend on government. New project name; The Lit & Num Campaign.
This is basically providing learners from grades 1-6 with numeracy and literacy classes. Making it fun and entertaining at the same time.
We have seen how schools that are "no fees" simply do not give much attention on the seriousness of a child's grades. Then when they come to matric, the child struggles to pass their final exam.

Simply get a couple of friends together and start reading and numeracy clubs. Have competitions and prizes. Have monitoring and evaluation tools in place so that one could track the individuals progress and spot their strengths and weaknesses. I absolutely do not think that government should get involved, would just complicate things. Involving parents most definitely. They are most welcome to join the clubs and learn from their children too.

Now this is the difference that I want to make. Lets go Back to Basics!

No comments:

Post a Comment